邓州门户网,邓州在线 邓州门户网手手机app
  邓州吧   情感天空   人生天地间,忽如远行客
返回列表
查看: 1954|回复: 0
收起左侧

[出门在外] 人生天地间,忽如远行客

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-10-13 14:15:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
<font size="4">朋友,想必你已经知道以下演讲的作者已经避世远行,让我们再温习一遍,他的人生不可重复,但思想可以永存!

<font color="navy">I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.

我今天很荣幸能和你们一起参加毕业典礼,斯坦福大学是世界上最好的大学之一。我从来没有从大学中毕业。说实话,今天也许是在我的生命中离大学毕业最近的一天了。今天我想向你们讲述我生活中的三个故事。不是什么大不了的事情,只是三个故事而已。

The first story is about connecting the dots.

I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?

It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.

And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.

It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5
门户网就是您的家!欢迎您常回家看看!如果您喜欢邓州门户网,请介绍给您身边的朋友!有了您的支持,门户网才能走得更远!
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册通行证

收藏:2 | 帖子:2577

广播台

精彩推荐

邓州市,邓州网,邓州吧,邓州论坛,邓州门户网
手机客户端
邓州门户网公众微信
侵权举报:本页面所涉内容为用户发表并上传,相应的法律责任由用户自行承担;本网站仅提供存储服务;如存在侵权问题,请权利人与本网站联系删除!举报电话:0377-62265777